Home / World / UK / Dog sparks ‘deadly raisin’ warning

Dog sparks ‘deadly raisin’ warning

Ray the boxer with vet Erin Beale and owner Jasmine Quick

Image copyright
Trevor Burrows/PDSA

Image caption

Vet Erin Beale warned dog owners that raisins were deadly to dogs and should be kept out of reach

A dog who chomped through a packet of dried fruit has sparked a “deadly raisins” warning.

Owner Jasmine Quick from Plymouth had brought baking ingredients home after a competition when boxer Ray made his move on the leftovers.

The eight-year-old pet ate a kilo of sugar and its wrapping, a bag of flour and a packet of raisins and sultanas.

He had to be given emergency treatment after Mrs Quick saw the “chaos” and called the local pet hospital.

She was told raisins could be “deadly” to dogs and to bring him straight in.

Read more on this story as it develops throughout the day on our Local Live pages.

“Ray was absolutely covered in flour and sugar, and was guzzling his way through the raisins,” she said.

Ray was immediately given medicine to make him sick.

Vet Erin Beale said: “This was a potentially disastrous cocktail. Grapes, raisins and sultanas are all highly toxic to dogs and even small amounts can be fatal, depending on their size.

“Thankfully for Ray he got help straight away, so recovered quite quickly and was soon back to his boisterous self.”

All copyrights for this article are reserved to bbc uk

Check Also

David Coulthard safe driving app advert for Aviva banned

Image copyright ASA Image caption The advert featured David Coulthard disguised as a taxi driver ...